HENKEL Innovation Challenge 7 SEA: Create. Learn. Grow.
Once upon a time, I've dreamt of being an inventor. TV shows like Beyond 2000, Jetsons and even Bionic Man fascinates me with the futuristic inventions and creations. Back then, many exclaimed that it’s out of the world or even out of your mind! – to think of going/doing there or that. Being a curious monkey, when I was informed on the Henkel Innovation Challenge 7 (HIC7) Southeast Asia (SEA) national final by Mimi Teh, Bag of Love & Henkel’s PR: Jay Mee of EverQuest, I grabbed the chance to swing to this creative world of Henkel.
Thinking of “Inventor” reminds me of great scientist like Albert Einstein & the great innovator, Steve Jobs. Yes, mad crazy perfectionist; whose beginning ideas were often misinterpreted as too advance, too complex to be implemented, or mere illusions! Their ambitions to introduce their ideas, find financial funds and support their quests were often met with stumbling blocks. Well, what were their inspirations? Weren’t just mere ambition, It’s Passion for Excellence! That’s what sets them apart from thinkers and dreamers.
With the same visionary enthusiasm, that’s what Henkel’s tagline – “Excellence is our Passion” is out to scout. By creating the Henkel Innovation Challenge (HIC) competition, it provided a platform for inventors to create products for consumers to use in the future. Thus HIC7 is the seventh consecutive year under the motto “Create. Learn. Grow.” - enables students from various fields from technical, engineering, natural sciences to economics to transform into creative, conscious and resourceful business development managers. This year, the students will be assisted by the latest extensive e-learning opportunities for professionally and personal self development together with mentoring program.
Can you imagine what products we will need in 2050? This is what the contestant of the Henkel Innovation Challenge 7 (HIC 7) Southeast Asia National Final have thought about:
- Name: Cap-Able
- Product: Schwarzkopf Cap-Able is like a shower cap being worn on head covering all hairs and its interior is full of bioengineered cellulose gel-villi. This product comes with a shampoo cartridge attaching to the cap, which supplies organic shampoo into Cap-Able.
- By: Innocraz, MALAYSIA: Tee Hang Chung and Yap Lee Lip, University of Malaya.
( Me Thinks: Smart Shower Cap) With beaming smile of confidence, strong product concept and well researched points; this Malaysian team deserves 2 thumbs up & all dry hands up! Why? Well the shower cap itself is a product with features and functions: washing, cleaning and MASSAGE! With the idea of built in “smart auto-detect” function to turn on & off based on the scalp and hair texture. Thus it’s compatible with both European and Asian hair type. All the users need to do is add-on the preferred type of dry shampoo per use. It’s built to minimize the usage of water, time and energy spent to wash hair. Definitely look out to buy this product. We had a good laugh over the product that it will be "a magnet among girls, a hit among the housewives". Hmm.. imagine all the Multitasking we can do! Boy oh boy, the ladies will love you! Without doubt, Team Innocraz really deserved being crowned the 1st Prize the Winner of Henkel Innovation Challenge 7 South East Asia!
- Name: Vernel Forever
- Product/Technology: Vernel fabric softeners to allow fabric to regenerate making them as good as new every time they are washed. With the same principle, damaged fabrics leave marks that the softener will recognize and target, initiating the fabric regeneration in the targeted spot.
- By: eTeam, PHILIPPINES: Jaypee Ong and Rafael Jose Guevara, University of Philliphines
(Me Thinks!: Serum for Cloth) The Starfish serves as a mascot as the technology of the regenerative cell is obtained from just 1 cell from a specially chosen starfish for bio-tech mass production purposes. Pic. above, see the sample pill? What if it’s a magical pill? Small in size but packs a punch! Like jack and the beanstalk, it can grow but in a different way. The concept of Vernel fabric softener comes in a form of a pill. Estimated 1 pill = 1 laundry (10 kg). Now that’s what the average laundry weight in Philiphines per household. It serves to auto-improve and restore the quality of cloth the more frequent it's used. Hmmm.. will this be our solution to LONGER lasting clothes?
- Name: Liebe (Lee-Ber, which means Lover in German)
- Product/Technology: The innovative concept of this skin care is a spray with drug delivery system in antioxidant nanoparticle size from lemon peel. The drug delivery system is a system that can identify the cancer cells and treat or kill those cells without damage in other cells.
- By: Hera, INDONESIA: Clarissa Olivia Susanto & Lia Priscilla, Insitut Teknologi Bandung
( Me Thinks: Natural Vitamin Skincare) Inspired by personal experience from family members who suffered from skin cancer; Team Hera, uses lemon peel with the reason:
1) natural source - widely available & affordable
2) the concept of 3R: reduce, reuse, recycle
Being chemical free and less harmful to the environment and human body, it serves to protect, clean and improve the skin as well. Pictured are samples of the products in 3 different sizes. Will this be an affordable household future product to stop skin care & further damage?
- Name: Loctite Noise Power (LNP)
- Product/Technology: Movable soundproofing Coating for Renewable Energy LNP is a kind of coating made of special materials which is a perfect combination of inorganic and organic mechanism, using nanotechnology.
- By: SAGITT, VIETNAM: Tran Do Nguyen Linh & Huynh Hanh Ngan, Foreign Trade University
(Me Thinks: Spray on Soundproofing Coat) Now Team SAGITT, the 2nd Prize winner in HIC7 SEA was amazing for their sound proof product concept. Despite coming from non-Engineering/Science background; these diligent undergraduates in Economics did intensive research in chemical engineering to come up with a non-toxic nano technology in just 4-5 months! It was all because they got ANNOYED. Yes! Annoyed by the noise from outside while studying one day, it got them thinking to create a solution to seal off the noise pollution. Sound engineers and schools will definitely love this product. Ssssh.. Silence is just one spray away!
- Name: Loctite Zeo
- Product/Technology: LOCTITE Zeo glues soil together which preventing soil erosion and at the same time act as a nutrients reservoir, increase water retention and improve pro biotic activity in the soil.
- By: DTeam, MALAYSIA: Chen Li Chau & Loi Hong Boon, University of Malaya
The increase rate of landslides, accidents and major loss on the road, agricultural and plantations due to collisions, mass deforestation and natural disasters such as flood and monsoon seasons inspired DTeam to create Loctite Zeo. By using a type of algae glue which is bio gradable; in powling process with during the early stage for planting. The combination of the mixture with soil serves as a layer of superglue yet allows greens to grow naturally. Sounds like a super glue for the Earth! Super heroes to the forest and farmers too!
There were overall 10 teams in the HIC7 SEA, it was insightful & interesting to interview 5 amazing teams personally; 2 of which scored the top 2 spots. Hurray! Congratulations!
In a nutshell, the HIC7:
Registered participants for each team of consist of 2 students. Objective: To adopt the role of creative business development managers to present their Henkel brand or Henkel technology concept aligned to 2050. Each team had to first and foremost present to their respective local jury of Henkel business managers to make it to the HIC7 SEA.
Team performance are evaluated based on:- quality and quantity of performance; customer orientation, teamwork and effective cooperation; initiative and determination to achieve; driving change and innovation; and convincing and influencing power.
The winning team of HIC7 SEA will be selected to compete in the HIC international final, in Düsseldorf, Germany on March 31 – April 2, 2014. The 3 winning teams will be rewarded with:
- Meet up with the Henkel CEO, Kasper Rorsted
- Around the world tickets worth 10,000 Euros for 1st grand winner, 4K Euros for 2nd place, and 3rd place with 2K Euros.
Coming from all parts of the world, students from 12 European countries, 9 nations in the Asia-Pacific region, 3 Latin Amercian countries, the USA and 5 Countries in the MEA region will compete for the Grand Prize in the Henkel Innovation Challenge 7!
I hope more students will join the Henkel Innovation Challenge in the future. Here’s wishing our SEA Winner - Team Innocraz from Malaysia the best of luck in Germany. Malaysia Boleh!
|| ABOUT: HENKEL MALAYSIA
To know a company, is to tour it!
How to get there?
Henkel Malaysia is located at Menara TM, just 5mins walk away from the train station, LRT Kerinchi.
Using the LRT is by far the fastest & cheapest mode of transport as there are no direct bus going there and taking a cab could be costly as it's located at a high traffic density highway.