WEVents 4th Anniversary Party: the RETRO YOU! (Part1/2)
Last year, I found a rare but unique local social event community called WEVents.
It's for Women, Only for Women, By Women
WEVents = WomenOnlyMENnotinvited social events organized by WE (a group of Women Entrepreneurs and Working Women in Malaysia)
- Fully operated by working women volunteers; consists of women – professionals from all walks of lives - juggling their career, motherhood or family & the world!
- It organized social events like grooming, beauty workshops; tea & spa parties; and the most exciting of all their annual parties!
- Most young women, singles or married at times prefer to hang out among the girls – security, comfortable & most of all compatible. Thus WEVents is a good platform for networking, learn & most of all enjoy!
- It was also WEVents 3rd Anniversary: Superwoman that I have finally met many friends known thru Facebook in real life; it was also thru that event that many friendships have developed, grown stronger ... and that’s what keeps me going AGAIN!
* Recap. of WEVents 2013: Superwoman videos
To me, that is what Life is about – Live, Learn, Laugh, Enjoy!
Since I have time off, I have decided to volunteer for this year’s event, to learn & to share this event to others. After all, the more the merrier!
The theme this year = The RETRO YOU!
Retro = olden/past styles or fashion. Movies like the Great Gatsby, Austin Powers, Dreamgirls; TV series like Mad Men, Downtown Abbey and even Glee!; as well as our local BOH Cameronian Arts Awards X Kakiseni all echoed & brought pop fuzz into the various Retro styles again!
Yeah! WEVents 4th Anniversary is finally here!
Words buzzling around actively as the date grew closer were
“Are you ready?” “What is retro style ar?” “What are going to wear?”.
Excited too that Edazz & Choy Peng will be singing again - it’s like a “reunion”!
Most concerns were “Dress style”. I believe each girl got their “dream style”, the iconic role model of olden days. Thank goodness for Google and shopping haven in Malaysia, many ladies dressed up to the nines. It was a blast to the past!
My favourite retro styles are 60’s & 70’s but since I gained a tremendous amount of weight, wanting to be in something more comfortable to move around; I opted for a combination of 20’s and 30’s style – think of the Great Gatsby’s:- loose knee length flowy dress, minimalistic elegant accessories with heels. Going light on makeup with natural silver and pink shades, parted my hair in the middle for a “mushroom” fringe effect.
I invited my new found friend, Sherilynn from our charity outing, Uplift Malaysia. We made our way at 4pm to Midvalley to avoid the notorious Friday jam. Since we were early, went stopped by Benefit boutique for a quick fix on my Benefit tools. *Did you know that Benefit sharpens any of the pencil tool there for free? Also there, I discovered my month old Benefit eyeliner is faulty, too bad too late else can return for any exchange policy. So advise of the day, keep your receipts & try to use your products within 3 weeks.
At Benefit: It was FULL HOUSE! Surprised to see so many ladies there, apparently Benefit & A Cut Above are the proud sponsor s for makeup & hairdo for ALL the WEVents contestants! Delighted, we saw Choy Peng - totally revamped like just came back from the 70’s. Then we made our way to Shizens, since it’s their opening launch & scored some door gifts and makeover. Hehe. Dashed off to the shortcut of Cititel Hotel which is located in Midvalley Megamall itself.
Spotted the huge banner “WEVents 4th Anniversary: The Retro You”. Once registered, we were given each:
- a “Happy Family” card, a traditional card game – it’s for a surprise game later!
- a goodie bag filled Jurlique product, Simple Skincare, Benefit voucher, SYOSS, Colour Culture (OPI), Marquise Pâtisserie Chocolaterie, Montagnejeunesse facemask, Garrett Popcorn and Amante Spa voucher and Worthybook promotional voucher.
- drop your namecard to the fish bowl & for the Lucky Draw rounds!
Things I discovered by being a photographer (Mobile vs. Camera mode):
Samsung Galaxy Mobile: Good for close & medium range snap shots, easy & fast to edit. Regardless of the light, usually the pictures are easily adjustable with the smart functions.
My Canon Camera: Good for far range.
With my Samsung mobile phone (which is good for close snap shots) and Choy Peng’s camera, I went around to “play” photographer since the official photographer couldn’t make it. I am not happy with the outcome of the photos. Shaky hands plus rusty skills needs loads of practise, thus this event serves as a good reminder for me to do better. If GS saw my photos, he would definitely lastik my butt & head.
Last year’s event, I used my Canon camera and corrupted a lot of my videos because I took a lot of photos as well. Last year I sat closer to the stage and this year’s a lot further. Self note, must bring a camera with better zoom function. Overall, here’s my scrapbook memories of:
WEVents 4th Anniversary: The Retro You.
Cititel Hotel, Midvalley City, Kuala Lumpur
15th August 2014, 6-10pm
Photo credits from: WEVents Facebook, Choy Peng, Chee Mei & my Samsung mobile phone haha!
- Knomo = = Knowledge and Mobility. With it’s motto - Designed for Life On The Go; on display are Knomo London’s specialized collection of handbags with customized compartments for computer/gadget storage, some comes with internal bag which are removable! Which is a great feature for storage & removing to make the bag lighter on the go for all occasion in & out for office ladies.
Every time, I think of Worthy Book; the image of their smiley face founder pop up in my mind. Just like it’s co-founder’s joyfulness, WorthyBook has published it’s latest edition – Worthy Book Ladies Edition 2014/15. This time, it’s sweet young sugar candy pop look is refreshing and once again filled with Vouchers for Shopping, Beauty, Fashion, Health & Wellness. It’s basically a book filled with discount vouchers for first timers or special promo upon purchase. All the T&C are stated inside. At the WEVents, each of us received a voucher (valid till 31st Aug 2014) to purchase it at RM10 only (normal price: RM25). Pssss.. the girls shared that the WorthyBook FOOD Edition will be out on this September! Oh yeah, just right for my birthday baby!
- The Natural skin care specialist that produced multi-benefit anti ageing skin care products, consultation and facials. Sounds wonderful right? All those who dropped their namecard to their booth will enjoy an Exclusive Invitation for the Age Reclaiming Ritual session. Currently, this invitation is open to the public. Want to score an invite? Just drop by Jurlique branch to arrange for an appointment; be rewarded with samples and special gifts upon purchase.
*Jing jing jing*
The RETRO Party started with:
- Introduction speech by: Jeanisha Wan, founder & director of WEVents
- Special guest, VIP & patron of WEVents: Datin Winnie Loo of A Cut Above Group of Salons, an established award winning hair salons chain & academy.
- Emcee of the night, the multi talented Freda Liu. Always cheerful with a smile on her beautiful face, she is a certified professional trainer and coach; besides being a producer & presenter on my favourite local business radio station BFM 89.9.
- Nikki Law, the ARTist. Basically everything about from drawing, creating arts crafts for performance to dancing itself. Last year, she performed a very bombastic empowering Tribal Dance AND dressed up as a minion! This year, she is a HOT mama in 70’s style fringed dress. Alert! Expecting a BABY on the way in 2 months yet this glowing Mummy is so empowered with energy that she talk, strutted, monitored and taught us how to danced!
Here are the fun activities & contests we had thru out the party…
Activity 1: Warm up session thru games & laughter.
- Happy Family:
Find your Family! Panic in the room! As shouts, laughter and anxiety to find our “Happy Family” went around. Samantha & I were so disappointed to find only 2 family members based on our “family surname” thus we became “orphans”
- Say My Name!
Grouping to Memorize Names. Since my group is the orphanage, we were grouped with other families. Adoption was never so fast & easy, later came the fast & furious part as we tried HAD to recall everyone’s NAME in the new family. During that process, I met the very pretty Chee Mei, whose laughter is hilarious high & infectious. Our brain cells were utilized to the max, sadly since I have photographic memory; I can recall all their face, expression and dress but not their names. LOL memory fail!
Activity 2: Performance by past year's contest winner.
The really party kickstarted when Marilyn Monroe purred on stage in the form of Edazz Lucinda. If you saw the WEVents 2013 Videos, she is the Catwoman/Winner of 3rd Anniversary! This vocal adrenaline songstress performed the soulful Turn Me On by Norah Jones and pulled some mother of all rocks to the hall with the pumping Tina Turner number - Proud Mary that got everyone to the floor.
After recording the performance, my tummy rocked as well. It’s a signal to attack the buffet area.
*Continue at: WEVents 4th Anniversary Party: the RETRO YOU! (Part2/2)